Public Works Frequently Asked Questions


Question: How do I report a streetlight out?

Answer: You can request a streetlight repair at Nova Scotia Power Inc. or call 1-800-428-6230 or call Public Works at (902) 625-1975.


Question: How do I report a water main leak?

Answer: You can report a water main leak 24 hours a day by contacting Town of P.H. Public Works at (902) 625-1975.


Question: I have a sewer pipe blockage and/or backup in my home, what should I do?

Answer: If you have a sewer pipe blockage and/or backup in your home you should contact a plumbing contractor. A plumbing contractor will investigate to determine the cause of the problem and take corrective action. A plumbing contractor will also be able to determine if the pipe blockage is in the section of pipe maintained by the home owner or the Town. Check the yellow pages for a list of plumbing contractors.


Question: I see that a sewage pumping station is overflowing, what should I do?

Answer: If you see that a sewage pumping station is overflowing, you should immediately contact Public Works. You can contact us 24 hours a day at (902) 625-1975.


Question: I am experiencing a period of discolored water, what should I do?

Answer: If you are experiencing a period of water discoloration you should first try to open your water fixtures for a few minutes to flush your water service and plumbing pipes. Most of the time a period of water discoloration is short lived and the problem will correct itself. Occasionally, open fire hydrants can cause some rust and scale products, which normally adhere to the inside of the water mains, to break away. This sediment disturbance may cause water to appear cloudy or dirty. Water main repair or construction can also cause this temporary inconvenience. If this condition occurs in your system, allow the cold-water tap to run until the water clears. If you are experiencing a prolonged period of discolored water, you can contact Town of P.H. Public Works 24 hours a day at (902) 625-1975.


Question: How do I apply for a water system connection and/or a sewer system connection?

Answer: Call the Engineering and Public Works Department Manager at (902) 625-7899.


Question: Why does my water have a chlorine taste or smell? What can I do to remove it?

Answer: Chlorine is the disinfecting agent used by most public water systems to kill bacteria during the water treatment process. A small amount is left in the water right up to your tap to inhibit microbial growth in the piping. To remove the chlorine taste or smell, fill a clean pitcher or container with cold tap water and leave it uncovered overnight in the refrigerator. The chlorine content will dissipate.


Question: Is my water safe to drink?

Answer: Yes. The Town of Port Hawkesbury Water Utility must adhere to strict guidelines and standards for safe drinking water. Water Utility staff monitors the water treatment and distribution systems on a daily basis, and submit weekly samples to a third party laboratory for microbial and bacteriological testing. Information regarding the Nova Scotia drinking water standards are available at Nova Scotia Environment .


Question: How do I arrange to have my water service turned off or on?

Answer: If you need to have your water service connection turned off or on you can contact Town of P.H. Public Works between the hours of 8:00am and 4:30pm Monday to Friday at (902) 625-1975. If it is an emergency situation you can contact a staff person 24 hours a day by calling (902) 625-1975.



Find Events in Port Hawkesbury
Latest News
September 29, 2022
Truth and Reconciliation Day-Flag Raising September 30th 3pm

September 29, 2022
Public Meeting of Council - October 4th 2022
There will be a Public Meeting of Council held on Tuesday, October 4th in the Shannon Studio/virtually at 7 pm.  For an invitation to...

September 27, 2022
Strait2Ukraine Merchandise & Talent Live Auction October 1st - 7pm

September 25, 2022
Notice to Residents and Trail Users from the Strait Area Trails Association
  Due to the possible damage that hurricane Fiona may have caused on the trails, we encourage all trail users to check for fallen or...