Green Cart Program Coordinator Position
Job Description- 2020/2021 Clean Leadership Professional Internship
Employer: Town of Port Hawkesbury
Position Title: Green Cart Program Coordinator
Location: Port Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia
Anticipated Duration: October 2020- March 31, 2021
Port Hawkesbury is a town located on the southwestern end of Cape Breton Island, on the north shore of the Strait of Canso in the Canadian province of Nova Scotia. It is a major service centre, located on the beautiful Strait of Canso, and offers a unique blend of economic, cultural and lifestyle opportunities to those living and visiting the area.
The Town of Port Hawkesbury will be rolling out a green cart and recycling program for its citizens. To assist with this, we are looking for additional capacity within the Waste Management Services division of the Public Works Department. Waste Management Services is part of the Public Works Department is responsible for providing cost-effective and environmentally-sound waste management programs/services to the residents and businesses of the Town of Port Hawkesbury.
· Work both independently and as a part of a team to assist with the roll out of the green cart program and promote the Towns various waste management programs
· Oversee the green cart delivery to homeowners
· Educate residents about the importance of diverting materials from landfills while promoting the waste management services, and the new green cart program
· Manage inquiries through interact with members of the public over the phone, through face-to-face interaction, as well as written communication
· Assist with the creation, distribution and presentation of promotional and educational materials
· Conduct recycling green cart inventories and measure curbside diversion
· Assist in the implementation of various initiatives and projects to increase participation in the green cart program
· Post-secondary degree, diploma or certificate program in Environmental Science/Management, Geography, Environmental/Urban Planning, Education, Business Communication or a related field of study
· A genuine interest in improving waste management services in the Town of Port Hawkesbury
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Ability to work effectively both independently and with a team
· Experience with public outreach and education is considered an asset
· A willingness to travel around the town of Port Hawkesbury
This position is funded through a grant from the Clean Foundation (in partnership with Environment and Climate Change Canada) that has the following requirements of the applicant:
- Graduated from a post-secondary program
- No more than 30 years of age at the start of the internship
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person granted refugee status in Canada
- Not receiving employment insurance during internship
- To confirm your eligibility, apply to be an intern here.
- Once your application is approved by the Clean Leadership team you will gain access to the Professional Internship Job Board.
- To apply for a job, send your cover letter and resume outlining your qualifications for the position as a single PDF document to [email protected]. The subject of the email must include the name of the employer and the position title.
- Upon successful pre-screening, your resume and cover letter will be shared with the hiring employer. The employer will contact you if you have been selected for an interview.
- If matched with an employer, all intern participants are required to complete an online Participant Information Form, as well as both a mid-term and final report questionnaire.
We are committed to Employment Equity and our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative at all job levels. We welcome applicants from Indigenous People, Visible Minority Groups, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations of positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of the equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on either your cover letter or resume.